Monday, September 27, 2010

Independent Writing


We have daily lessons to help the children take their good writing and make it even better. Each writing piece is a true story from the author's own experiences. This week we will focus on including details in our pictures to tell the whole story. This should include characters, setting, and action. Up until this point, the children have mostly been labeling their pictures. Now we will include adding a sentence to further enhance our stories. The words are written using the children's own phonetic spelling.
The children are enjoying exploring "Just Right Books" which are neither too difficult nor too easy for them to read. This offers the child an opportunity to grow as a reader. The children read privately, with partners, and to the teachers from their self-selected books.
Thank you for all your loving thoughts and prayers for my family at this difficult time. I will be returning to Detroit next week to take care of my infant grandson, Jaxon, who will be coming home soon. For the next seven weeks I will be in for one week and then out for the next week. Mrs. Kiernan along with a substitute teacher will continue with my plans while I am away. We are very proud of how well the class did last week in my absence. Thank you for your understanding and support.